Workplace Mental health is an issue of grave concern. In fact, it is one of the leading causes of absenteeism from work. Mental health problems at work can cause immense suffering to those experiencing them, and those around them. As such, there is an overwhelming need for managers, business owners and employees to address the issue of mental health at work. Managers particularly should play a significant role in promoting mental health among employees. However, it is essential that managers receive the right support to assist them to handle this task efficiently. If we are to empower supervisors and staff to make a positive impact on mental health it will involve giving them the proper training from industry experts and professionals through mental health courses.
A course on mental health would create awareness and understanding among managers, as well as teach them important lessons such as how to categorise common mental health disorders. Besides learning how to classify the signs and symptoms of mental suffering, they would also be counseled on practical strategies that can support members of their organisation.
The major benefits of taking a mental health course include:
- Gaining the ability to understand and appreciate the stigma surrounding mental health at work.
- Giving employees the confidence to handle clients or workmates suffering from mental health conditions in a humane manner.
- Awarding employees and business owners the opportunity to understand the legal requirements surrounding workplace mental health care.
- Teaching people techniques and strategies for managing employees with mental conditions.
- Improving one’s understanding of stress and how it impacts morale at work.
- Reflecting on our own attitude towards mental health problems. If the attitude is a negative one, then we can take measures to change and improve.
- Allowing participants to learn possible interventions for workplace mental illnesses.
Did you check our Mental Health Courses?
The outcome of a good mental health training course should be to help management and their employees create a work environment where personal resilience is enhanced, and the comfort and safety of all employees are protected. This will enable the workforce to respond effectively to the challenges that arise while working, which in turn will enhance their confidence, allowing them to produce their very best.
Organisations often lose out on the expertise of capable workers due to mismanagement. Knowing what to do and how to manage the mental health of teams can be tricky. For most people suffering from mental health conditions, their last resort is often, sadly, a choice between a decline of their mental health or abandoning their jobs. Employers have a duty of care to their employees and investing in a course in mental health is the best way to secure the mental health of a workforce. The training should be practical and applicable so that the psychological safety and wellbeing of the whole organisation and its employees is enhanced. Good workplace mental health is good business and at the Workplace Mental Health Institute we want to help.